On Friday, Aug. 31, Lt. Governor Becky Skillman announced the recipients of the 2012 Community Focus Funds (OCRA CFF discussed below). The Library's project is included in this round of funding! Within a year, you will see the Library Board's hard work and dreams become reality as the Library is renovated and expanded to fully serve our community!
Started in 1906, the Andrews Library now serves over 2,000 residents in Dallas Township and the town of Andrews. The current building, built in 1926 through the devoted efforts of the community, is a Craftsman bungalow style with a bi-level interior. The building has been maintained well, but with few updates, over its 86 year operation as a public library. Consequently, several obstacles hinder the Library’s service to the community, including a lack of handicapped accessibility and fire exits. The Board places priority on maintaining the historical appearance of the building while making the site accessible, ensuring improved service to the community for generations to come.
• In the fall of 2009, the Library received a $2,500.00 planning grant from Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana (now Indiana Landmarks) toward architectural services.
• In early 2010, the Library worked with Grinsfelder Architects, Associates of Fort Wayne on a preliminary project design and cost estimate.
• In the fall of 2010, the Andrews Town Council pledged $25,000.00 of CEDIT funds, and Huntington County Commissioners pledged $60,000.00 of CEDIT funds toward the project pursuant to an Office of Community and Rural Affairs Community Focus Fund application.
• USDA Rural Development committed $60,790.00 of Community Facilities grant funding toward the Library’s project in July of 2011.
• In April 2012, Huntington County Help, Inc. pledged $37,000.00 toward the purchase of the lift equipment that is an essential part of the renovation.
• In August 2012, the Library was awarded an OCRA Community Facilities Fund in the amount of $261,102.00.
The project plans involve the construction of a new accessible entrance to the Library, as well as a street level entrance to the basement meeting room and an additional fire exit. The plans include a lift, a smaller, more cost-effective version of an elevator, that would make both levels of the building accessible to everyone in the community. There would be new restrooms and a small kitchenette connected to the meeting room. All of these improvements follow modern building code requirements and would greatly enhance the Library’s services.
YES! We are still accepting donations toward our building project! The grants procured to this point do not cover the entire cost of the project, and additional funds are still needed for key items such as landscaping and new furniture. If you wish to donate to the ongoing pursuit of an expansion and renovation for the Andrews Library, you may contact the Library or donate online at the link below. Thank you for considering a donation toward the Library’s building project.
Click HERE to donate to the Andrews Library Building Project through the Huntington County Community Foundation. Simply type "Andrews Library Building Project" in the designated fund box.
Click HERE for a printable flyer about the project.
Please contact Nancy Disbro, Library Director, with any questions or for more information about the email@example.com, 260-786-3574.
ANDREWS-DALLAS TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY
|30 E. Madison St.||HOURS|
|PO Box 367||Monday & Wednesday||10:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.|
|Andrews, IN 46702||Tuesday & Thursday||12:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.|
|260-786-3574||Saturday||9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.|
|firstname.lastname@example.org||Closed Fridays and Sundays|
Check out your library!